Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
I received this recipe from a co-worker many years ago after she brought these most delicious bars to an event we were having. I have made them many times since and they never fail to please. They take a little while to put together, but the result is worth the effort. You can substitute any flavor pie filling for the blueberry.
- 1 3⁄4 cups sugar
- 1 cup butter
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 cups flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 (21 ounce) can blueberry pie filling
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 1⁄4 cups sifted powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Cream sugar, butter, eggs and vanilla with an electric mixer.
- Add flour, baking powder and salt and mix well.
- Spread 1/2 of batter in an ungreased (15x10 inch) jelly roll pan.
- Mix together pie filling and nutmeg.
- Spread over batter in pan.
- Drop spoonfuls of remaining batter evenly over filling and carefully spread to cover filling as much as possible.
- Bake 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cakey part comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and cool slightly.
- Combine frosting ingredients and pour over top of cake while warm.
- Cool completely.
I found this a little difficult to get the dough on the top of the bars. It looked great when it finally came out of the oven, but the dough didn't have a lot of flavor. Sorry