Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
I've tried others but I always come back to this recipe. The bread turns out moist and delicious every time. My friend Suzanne gave me this recipe a few years back.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄2 cups mashed bananas, ripe
- 1⁄2 cup plain yogurt
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease a 9x5 inch bread pan with a piece of bunched up wax paper.
- Put a little flour in the pan, then tilt and tap the pan to coat the sides with flour. Tap out the excess.
- Sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt into a mixing bowl and then set it aside.
- With an electric mixer, cream the butter in a separate bowl.
- Gradually beat in the sugar.
- One at a time, crack each egg into a small bowl and beat them into the creamed mixture.
- Blend in the vanilla extract.
- In another bowl, stir together the bananas and yogurt until well mixed.
- Blen the dry mixture and the banana mixture into the cream mixture in thirds, alternating dry and wet to help prevent the dry ingredients from clumping.
- Fold in the chopped walnuts.
- With a rubber spatula, scrape the batter into the prepared pan and smooth the top.
- Bake the bread on the center rack for 60-70 minutes, or until the top is goldent brown and a tester comes out clean.
- Cool the pan on a wire rack for 15 minutes.
- Remove the loaf from the pan and let it cool thoroughly before slicing.