Recipe by Dustbunni
Our family's favorite Macaroni and cheese for over 25 years. Based on a recipe cut out of a Virginia newspaper many years ago.
Top Review by Bren in LR
This is an excellent recipe. The finely diced celery adds texture that I like. I altered from the directions by simmering the milk/egg mixture on top of the stove till slightly thickened and then poured over the noodles. That cut my oven time to about 30 minutes. 20 minutes covered, 10 minutes uncovered. I used panko bread crumbs and it was yummy.
- 1 lb macaroni, cooked al dente
- 1 small onion, sliced thin (or chopped)
- 1⁄2 cup celery, minced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 cups milk
- 4 eggs
- 1 lb cheddar cheese, shredded (or 1/2 lb. cheddar and 1/2 lb. swiss cheese)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon basil (optional)
- 2⁄3 cup breadcrumbs
Directions See How It's Made
- Put the macaroni in a deep casserole dish and stir in the cheese, reserving 1/2 cup of cheese.
- Saute the onion and celery in butter about four minutes.
- Gently mix this into the macaroni mixture.
- Beat the eggs, milk, and seasonings together and pour over the macaroni and cheese mixture.
- Sprinkle the remaining cheese and breadcrumb over the top.
- Bake covered at 350 degrees for 20 minutes and then uncover for another 20 minutes.