Prep 15 mins
Cook 4 hrs
This is from the package of 15 beans that I bought at the Farmer's Market with my own twist. Easy and great for a chilly day with cornbread.
- Soak bean mix over night in water, be sure that the beans are good and covered with water because they will expand.
- Drain bean mix and put into a dutch oven with 1 qt or so of fresh water.
- Be sure water is at least a inch over the beans.
- Add ham hock.
- Add onion and garlic.
- Cook at a simmer for 2 1/2 to 3 hours, covered.
- Add rotel and tomatoes.
- Cook for 30 more minutes or until your cornbread is done.
- You may add some diced ham if you like.
I added a teaspoon of liquid smoke and some hot sauce and a can of collard greens.. great for autumn