Recipe by sacredmama
Many of my friends say this is their favorite dish of mine. I think the key is the bacon. I like it at the high end of the spices and more salt seems to bring out the flavors. Sometimes I add celery, red or green pepper, corn, or peas; but add another can of tomatoes if you add more of anything. It always comes out different so sometimes I add shredded cheese. Good with corn bread!
Top Review by Colleen321
Oh yes it's the bacon that makes it so good and different. When I put it together I thought, "Oh no there won't be enough liquid." But it was fine as it cooked at a very low heat all the juices came out of the tomatoes and it was perfect. Next time I'm gonna try it with pinto beans.
- 1 lb ground buffalo meat or 1 lb ground beef
- 4 -6 slices bacon, cut into 1/2 in. chunks
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 carrots, chopped
- 1 large sweet onion, chopped
- 1 head garlic, minced
- 1 (15 ounce) can pinto beans
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons chili powder (or more)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon salt (or more)
- 1 dash ground cayenne pepper (or more)
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- shredded cheese (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil on medium high in pot.
- Cook bacon 2 mins, stirring often.
- Add carrots and onion, cook until almost done.
- Add garlic, cook 1 minute.
- Add meat, season with salt, cook until browned.
- Stir in beans, tomatoes, chili powder, bay leaf, cayenne, oregano- bring to boil.
- Turn down to low.
- Cover and simmer at least an hour, stirring occasionally (The longer it cooks the thicker it gets and better it tastes).
- Season to taste.
- (Serve with shredded cheese on top and cornbread on the side).