Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
For those that are adventurous give this a try... Wonderful as a side for a big dinner or just if you have a taste for something a little different
- 1⁄2 cup orange juice
- 1⁄3 cup butter or 1⁄3 cup olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 lbs carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 4 cups chicken stock or 4 cups vegetable stock
- 1⁄4 cup ginger, peeled and chopped
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- whipped cream
- - Saute onion and ginger in 1/3 cup of butter until translucent, do not burn.
- - Add carrots, sugar, orange juice and enough stock to cover about a 1/2 inch above the carrots.
- - Cook 30 minutes or until carrots are soft.
- - Puree carrot mixture (do this in small batches).
- - Pass through a strainer (optional), return mixture to heat and bring to a gentle boil.
- - Add creame, remove from heat and whisk in unsalted butter.
- - Serve hot with a swirl of savory whipped creame.
Good one BigJ! I will admit I did use a little less sugar and didn't use the the cream ( diet reasons). The soup has a refreshing taste and I had it with a big salad and a piece of crusty bread. I love the ginger in the recipe- it gives it that little extra zing! The recipe is simple to make and would make a great starter for a nice dinner. I will definitely make this again! Thanks for posting!