Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a simple recipe I got several years ago. My family has recently began using it again & everyone loves it.
- 1 1⁄2-2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1⁄4 cup onion (chopped)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (10 ounce) can chicken gumbo soup
- 3⁄4 cup ketchup
- 8 -12 hamburger buns
- Brown the Ground Beef with the Onion, Salt & Pepper in skillet. Could use more or less onion to suit your own taste.
- Stir in Soup & Ketchup. Could use more or less ketchup to suit your own taste.
- Simmer for approximately 20 minutes & serve on the Hamburger Buns.
- If making multiple batches for a large amount of people, it can be mixed together in a Crock pot after browning the Ground Beef & cook on low for 2-4 hours.
This is an excellent recipe, thanks for posting Mom!!! You saved me from having to post a recipe. Another pointer is to use Campbell's Chicken Gumbo soup, it has the best favor!!!
I grew up on these sloppy joes with a little variation -- 1# meat w/ onion if you like, 1 can soup, 1 T. mustard, & 1 T. ketchup. I get many recipe requests (after they reluctantly try them). My husband will put the Campbell's Chicken Gumbo Soup in the shopping cart when he's craving them. I make them for my daughter's friends and so far not one has disliked them -- even the REALLY picky eaters! They are so easy to make. We've used BBQ sauce in place of ketchup before and it's still good.
These were pretty good. I used hot ketchup which gave it a nice twist. I also found it tasted to ketchupy for my taste so I also added a bit of vinegar and honey, also a 1/2 cup salsa. I loved the gumbo soup in this and will try adding that to my regular sloppy joes. This was a nice change of pace and I think with some experimentation it will fit our tastes perfectly. Thanks for a good dinner.