1/1 Photo of My Family Italian Sausage & Peppers
1 hr 30 mins
1 hr 10 mins
My Italian ancestors come Southern Italy; specifically Calabria. This is similar to what I remember my Dad making; process and ingredients. He probably got the technique from his GF Frank Scavo...but we also have Comita, Scalzo, Gigliotti, Grande and Micelli in our line...so who knows? (Frank made his own sausage..mmmmm) I highly suggest that you serve this over Creamy Parmesan Polenta (Parmesan Polenta)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 20 small sweet italian peppers
- 1 green pepper
- 2 red onions
- 14.79 ml garlic, minced
- 907.18-1360.77 g Italian sausages (hot & mild combo)
- 118.29 ml red wine
- 793.78 g Italian tomatoes (Canned, Cento's Chef's Cut with Basil found in Italian section of supermarket)
- 44.37 ml oregano
- 59.16 ml basil
- 1 fennel bulb (optional)
- 1Add EVOO to the bottom of a pan that can be used stove top and in the oven.
- 2Add sausage and brown; remove from pan.
- 3Add onions and peppers (and fennel if using) and cook until soft.
- 4Deglaze with wine.
- 5Add tomatoes to the pan; add oregano/basil and stir; bring to a boil.
- 6Add sausage back in pan and submerge under pepper/tomato mixture.
- 7Place pan in the oven at 375 degrees with lid on. Cook 40 minutes.
- 8Remove lid, stir. Cook additional 30 minutes.
Browse Our Top Pork Recipes
Nutritional Facts for My Family Italian Sausage & Peppers
Serving Size: 1 (301 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 583.5
- Calories from Fat 375
- Total Fat 41.7 g
- Saturated Fat 14.6 g
- Cholesterol 86.2 mg
- Sodium 1836.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 17.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.9 g
- Sugars 6.9 g
- Protein 30.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: