Recipe by Um Safia
A super light and fluffy chocolate sponge cake.
Top Review by sonya/art
This has become our favorite chocolate cake :) I made it many times and it's perfect every time, I usually put chocolate glaze on top (melted chocolate with a bit of butter and sugar) or just icing sugar instead :) cake is so delicious, thanks a lot for the recipe!
- 8 ounces self raising flour
- 8 ounces margarine or 8 ounces butter
- 8 ounces sugar (I always reduce the sugar to around 6oz as I don't like things TOO sweet)
- 3 medium eggs
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 tablespoons cadburys cocoa powder
- approx. 200ml water
Directions See How It's Made
- Cream the margarine and the sugar until light and fluffy. I personally prefer to lessen the amount of sugar as I don't like things overly sweet but 80z is the original recipe.
- Whisk the eggs into the sugar/margarine mixture.
- Slowly add the flour, baking powder and cocoa. Sieve these to avoid lumps (especially in the cocoa).
- Stir in a figure of 8 fashion. Gradually add enough water to loosen the cake mix up a bit. It should be the consistency of a slightly thin custard.
- Pour into a non stick cake tin, preferably with loose bottom. I use an 8'' round tin for this cake.
- Bake on a middle/top shelf in the oven at 180 c for around 45 mins or until a skewer comes out clean.
- Remove from tin and cool on wire rack. Once cooled, top with chocolate icing, frosting etc or dust with icing sugar and cocoa powder.