Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
A super light and fluffy chocolate sponge cake.
- 226.79 g self raising flour
- 226.79 g margarine or 226.79 g butter
- 226.79 g sugar (I always reduce the sugar to around 6oz as I don't like things TOO sweet)
- 3 medium eggs
- 4.92 ml baking powder
- 44.37 ml cadburys cocoa powder
- approx. 200ml water
- Cream the margarine and the sugar until light and fluffy. I personally prefer to lessen the amount of sugar as I don't like things overly sweet but 80z is the original recipe.
- Whisk the eggs into the sugar/margarine mixture.
- Slowly add the flour, baking powder and cocoa. Sieve these to avoid lumps (especially in the cocoa).
- Stir in a figure of 8 fashion. Gradually add enough water to loosen the cake mix up a bit. It should be the consistency of a slightly thin custard.
- Pour into a non stick cake tin, preferably with loose bottom. I use an 8'' round tin for this cake.
- Bake on a middle/top shelf in the oven at 180 c for around 45 mins or until a skewer comes out clean.
- Remove from tin and cool on wire rack. Once cooled, top with chocolate icing, frosting etc or dust with icing sugar and cocoa powder.
This has become our favorite chocolate cake :) I made it many times and it's perfect every time, I usually put chocolate glaze on top (melted chocolate with a bit of butter and sugar) or just icing sugar instead :) cake is so delicious, thanks a lot for the recipe!
I followed the advice of the Chef and used just 6 oz of sugar because I too do not like things too sweet. I shared this cake with my mother-in-law who agreed that this cake was a slice of chocolate heaven!! Delicious cake just as is. Chocolatly (if that's a word), moist, not too dense... just delicious! Thanks for the great recipe!
I made this today (as well as the apple cake) and OMG its good! I tried it with just 6oz of sugar and was a bit skeptikal but it was perfect. I iced it and put chocolate chips on the top - to keep the kids happy. This recipe has just been added to my cookbook - say no more!