Prep 10 mins
Cook 3 hrs
I looked for a fairly healthy sourdough-like bread. Tweaked and tweaked until I'd made up my own recipe. The basil gives it a sweetness. Hope you like it. My bread machine only needs 1/2 tsp yeast, but most others seem to need more.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 ounces beer (about 1/2 can)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons dried basil
- 1⁄2 cup old fashioned oats
- 1 1⁄2 cups white flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups wheat flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon yeast
- Pour oil into bread machine container. In a small liquid measure, pour about 1/2 can of beer. Fill with water up to 1 1/3 cup mark.
- Add all dry ingredients, in order listed.
- Note: reverse ingredients if your machine requires dry first.
- Run on basic bake cycle.
- When it beeps, wait about 5 minutes before removing.
- Wrap in a towel while warm for softer crust.
What a great, "Every Day" bread, easy to put together in the bread machine - with so many healthy grains, I even added flax seed to pump it up a little more, I only used the ABM for the mixing and first rise as I like to shape and bake myself. . The rise was awe inspiring and I should have used a larger pan but even the oven spring was great. The inside was so soft even with all the grains. I did an egg wash and sprinkled a grain mix on top before baking. This is one those recipes well named as it is a perfect "Every Day Bread" and I'll be making often. Made for Spring PAC 2014