Recipe by Jana Steinhagen
My version of theis lovely traditional dish is sweet, heartwarming and filling. The parsnip makes this lovely and sweet with the gutsy flavour of the Lamb Shank.
- 1 lamb shank, cut into chunks keeping the bone as well (the bone will give guts and flavour to the stew while cooking)
- 1 large potato, diced
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 parsnip, diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon parsley sprig, sliced into 1 inch length
- 1 tablespoon parsley, chopped finely
- 1 teaspoon plain flour seasoned with salt and pepper
- 500 ml good beef stock
- 1 bay leaf
Directions See How It's Made
- First mix the Lamb with the seasoned flour and fry in a little oil until well browned.
- Then add the veggies (apart from the finely chopped parsley)and stir until well mixed with the lamb, add the stock and baylef and bring to the boil.
- Turn the heat down very low, cover with a lid and simmer quietly for 1 1/2 hours.
- Add some of the chopped parsley just before serving.
- Serve sprinkling some more of the chopped parsley on top.