Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
What more can I say but this is just one of those recipes I have been making for years that my family enjoys. One of those comfort food favorites. Serve it over toast points, noodles or rice. This version is just a bit different from others I have seen.
- 1⁄2 cup butter, divided use
- 1 1⁄2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2-inch chunks
- 1⁄2 lb mushroom, quartered
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 14 ounces chicken broth
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 9 ounces frozen peas, thawed
- 2 ounces chopped pimiento, drained
- In a large skillet, melt 2 tablespoons butter over medium-high heat. Saute the chicken and mushrooms for 5-6 minutes, or until no pink remains in the chicken. Remove the chicken and mushrooms from the skillet; discard the pan juices.
- Add the remaining butter, flour, salt, and pepper to the skillet; cook, whisking constantly, until the butter melts.
- Slowly add the chicken broth and cream; bring to a boil, whisking until smooth and thickened.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low, return the chicken and mushrooms to the skillet; add the peas and pimientos. Simmer until heated through, stirring constantly. Serve immediately.
Not the greatest I've ever had
Excellent recipe. Great taste. I added 1 stalk of chopped celery while sauteing the chicken and mushrooms, and at the end added a large dash of cayenne pepper.