1/1 Photo of My Dad's Pie Crust
Daddy was the baker in our house. He was most fond of pie, but just couldn't make a descent crust to save him, until he found this recipe in either a Betty Cocker or Better Homes and Gardens cookbook. I don't know which (this was forty-five some years ago). I have looked on Zaar for a recipe like this - and while they are similar they aren't Daddy's. Word to the wise - roll the dough out between two pieces of wax paper - the only way. Do not double the recipe for two crusts - just doesn't work. I make one crust at a time and store in the fridge while making the next. We are crust fiends in our house - so I always make a thicker crust then this recipe produces. I make three portions of this recipes for a two crust pie (1 and 1/2 per crust). Prep time includes cooling time. Cooking times depends on for what you are using the crust. Patience Grasshooper - it will be worth it.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Add 1 cup plus 2 T flour to mixing bowl.
- 2Add salt and mix with fork.
- 3Add oil and mix with fork just until combine (will be crumbly).
- 4Add COLD water (I have a cup of water with ice cube set up for this) 1 T at a time. Mix and add water until a ball of dough forms.
- 5Put in the fridge and let rest for 15 to 30 minutes (I don't always wait - but it is better if you do).
- 6Roll out between two pieces of wax paper.
- 7Lift the top piece of paper off the crust.
- 8Lift the bottom paper with the crust to the pie pan and invert.
- 9Peel the wax paper from the crust.
- 10Fit and crimp: fill or bake blind if one crust.
- 11Fit, fill and repeat if two crust.
- 12I estimate that this makes an 8 inch pie crust see my notes about the amount of crust I use for a 9 inch.
- 13Bake according to your pie recipe.
Browse Our Top < 60 Mins Recipes
Nutritional Facts for My Dad's Pie Crust
Serving Size: 1 (217 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1153.6
- Calories from Fat 665
- Total Fat 73.9 g
- Saturated Fat 11.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 1165.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 107.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.8 g
- Sugars 0.3 g
- Protein 14.5 g