C & D's Mommy's Note:
My mom says they're butter cookies, but me and my dad, (and now my husband and kids) call them Green Acre Cookies. Do not substitue the butter for margarine!! I even adapted these to offer my diabetic brother a few of these treats at Christmas time by substituting the sugar for equal amounts of Splenda. (I'll admit, it's not the same, but at least my bro' can eat em!) This is a very fun recipe to make with the kids. I get mine to do the decorating with sprinkles before cooking. There's nothing more fun than eating a Green Acre Cookie coated in about half a bottle of green or red sprinkles! MMMM.....(that's my C & D!) These freeze well in a canister so make them ahead as part of your holiday baking. But be warned....don't tell your family which canister they're in. Come the holidays, you'll open the canister, and it's empty!! (yes, this has happened to me!) *this recipe doubles, (triples quadruples, etc.) well.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1In a large bowl, cream together butter, sugar and egg. Add vanilla.
- 2In a separate bowl, sift together flour, baking powder and salt. Add dry mixture to other bowl and mix well.
- 3Chill in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- 4Preheat oven to 375 Degrees F.
- 5On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough to 1/8 " thickness. Cut into various shapes with cookie cutters. Arrange on cookie sheet. (They spread a bit so leave some room)
- 6Decorate with sprinkles, sugar, chocolate chips, etc. prior to baking.
- 7Bake 5-6 minutes. Remove them from the oven just BEFORE they start to turn brown. They will cook a little bit more on the pan while waiting to cool.
- 8When cooled a bit, remove to a wire rack for complete cooling.
Browse Our Top Rolled Cookies Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Rolled Cookies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for My Dad's Favourite Cookies
Serving Size: 1 (23 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 24
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 98.2
- Calories from Fat 37
- Total Fat 4.1 g
- Saturated Fat 2.5 g
- Cholesterol 18.9 mg
- Sodium 84.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 14.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.2 g
- Sugars 8.3 g
- Protein 1.1 g