1 hr 25 mins
My father is a wonderful cook, but he never writes down a recipe, and rarely measures ingredients. I end up having to guess the recipe by watching him make it, then try it myself. After many experiments, it usually turns out. This is one of those. It makes a huge batch, but luckily, it freezes very well. Make it with the basil when you have some around, and without when you don't. That's what Daddy does.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat oven to 350°F.
- 2Cook macaroni according to package directions, drain, and place in a very large mixing bowl.
- 3Tear or shred basil leaves and add to pasta.
- 4Cut the onion into quarters or small chunks, and add to blender with the milk.
- 5Puree until the onion is blended into the milk. (You should have between 4 and 5 cups of liquid.).
- 6Melt the butter with the flour in a large skillet or saucepan, and cook, stirring constantly until light brown.
- 7Add the onion and milk mixture a little at a time, whisking well between additions.
- 8Add cream cheese and shredded cheddar, a little at a time, allowing each addition to melt before adding more cheese. (You should have a very thick cheese sauce.)
- 9Add mustard and salt and white pepper to taste.
- 10Pour cheese sauce over pasta, mix well, and divide into baking dishes. (I find this will do two 8x8, or three 8" rounds.)
- 11Top with shredded cheddar and breadcrumbs. (If you're freezing some for later, just cover it in foil and freeze.)
- 12Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until pasta is set, and cheese is melted.
- 13This recipe can be baked from frozen at the same temperature, for 30 minutes with foil, and 15 uncovered.
Browse Our Top Elbow Macaroni Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Elbow Macaroni Recipes
Nutritional Facts for My Daddy's Mac and Cheese
Serving Size: 1 (172 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 647.3
- Calories from Fat 283
- Total Fat 31.4 g
- Saturated Fat 19.2 g
- Cholesterol 94.4 mg
- Sodium 424.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 66.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.8 g
- Sugars 2.4 g
- Protein 24.4 g