Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
This is comfort food personified. I've been making this for as long as I can remember. No one has ever NOT liked it, and I never have any left over for another meal!
- 2 whole chicken breasts, with skin and bones
- 4 large carrots, cut in 1 1/2-inch pieces
- 6 stalks celery & leaves, cut in 2-inch pieces
- salt & pepper
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups chicken broth, from cooked chicken
- 2 cups raw rice
- 4 cups cold water
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- NOTE: MAKE RICE WHILE CHICKEN COOKS OR MAKE CREAMED CHICKEN WHILE RICE COOKS.
- Put breasts in deep pot with carrots and celery.
- Cover with COLD water.
- Add salt and pepper.
- Bring all to a boil and reduce heat to simmer.
- Cover and simmer for at least an hour. Until meat appears to be falling off bones.
- Remove chicken and cool.
- When cool enough to handle, remove bones and skin and discard.
- Cut chicken into bite-size pieces, not too small.
- Remove 2 cups of broth from pot.
- Melt butter in pan and whisk in flour until smooth.
- Remove from heat and add 1/2 cup broth, whisking to keep it smooth.
- Add another 1/2 cup and whisk again. Try to keep it from lumping.
- Return to heat and add last cup of broth. Keep heat low-medium and keep whisking until sauce thickens.
- Should be like very heavy cream or slightly thicker, not runny.
- Add chicken pieces, keep warm until rice is done.
- I usually add canned lima beans to the sauce, but this is optional. You could also add some celery and/or carrots from the pot.
- RICE RING.
- You can make the rice as you usually do to get 4 cups cooked rice OR use my method.
- Put rice and cold water in pot. Add salt.
- Bring water to a boil and stir rice ONCE with wooden spoon.
- Cover tightly and simmer for 18 minutes.
- When done, remove from heat and fluff rice with a fork.
- Add butter and stir gently until all melted and blended inches.
- Pack rice into buttered ring mold and tamp down so it is packed, not loose.
- Put serving plate over top of mold and flip over.
- Tap gently to loosen rice ring.
- Fill center of ring with creamed chicken, decorate as desired and serve.
- NOTE: Putting veggies in creamed chicken is an option. You could serve them as a side dish.
- Use the rest of the broth with carrots and celery for soup or another recipe.