1 hr 50 mins
1 hr 30 mins
Nana Lee's Note:
This is comfort food personified. I've been making this for as long as I can remember. No one has ever NOT liked it, and I never have any left over for another meal!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1NOTE: MAKE RICE WHILE CHICKEN COOKS OR MAKE CREAMED CHICKEN WHILE RICE COOKS.
- 2Put breasts in deep pot with carrots and celery.
- 3Cover with COLD water.
- 4Add salt and pepper.
- 5Bring all to a boil and reduce heat to simmer.
- 6Cover and simmer for at least an hour. Until meat appears to be falling off bones.
- 7Remove chicken and cool.
- 8When cool enough to handle, remove bones and skin and discard.
- 9Cut chicken into bite-size pieces, not too small.
- 10Remove 2 cups of broth from pot.
- 11Melt butter in pan and whisk in flour until smooth.
- 12Remove from heat and add 1/2 cup broth, whisking to keep it smooth.
- 13Add another 1/2 cup and whisk again. Try to keep it from lumping.
- 14Return to heat and add last cup of broth. Keep heat low-medium and keep whisking until sauce thickens.
- 15Should be like very heavy cream or slightly thicker, not runny.
- 16Add chicken pieces, keep warm until rice is done.
- 17I usually add canned lima beans to the sauce, but this is optional. You could also add some celery and/or carrots from the pot.
- 18RICE RING.
- 19You can make the rice as you usually do to get 4 cups cooked rice OR use my method.
- 20Put rice and cold water in pot. Add salt.
- 21Bring water to a boil and stir rice ONCE with wooden spoon.
- 22Cover tightly and simmer for 18 minutes.
- 23When done, remove from heat and fluff rice with a fork.
- 24Add butter and stir gently until all melted and blended inches.
- 25Pack rice into buttered ring mold and tamp down so it is packed, not loose.
- 26Put serving plate over top of mold and flip over.
- 27Tap gently to loosen rice ring.
- 28Fill center of ring with creamed chicken, decorate as desired and serve.
- 29NOTE: Putting veggies in creamed chicken is an option. You could serve them as a side dish.
- 30Use the rest of the broth with carrots and celery for soup or another recipe.
Browse Our Top Poultry Recipes
Nutritional Facts for My Creamed Chicken in Rice Ring
Serving Size: 1 (509 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 880.7
- Calories from Fat 341
- Total Fat 37.9 g
- Saturated Fat 18.8 g
- Cholesterol 153.8 mg
- Sodium 745.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 90.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.7 g
- Sugars 4.7 g
- Protein 41.0 g