Recipe by Chef Sunshine
This is the best cornbread ever, has been in my family for years. Simple to make, but delicious.
Top Review by Susie D
This was a nice, fluffy cornbread. I was interested in this recipe because of the addition of mayo for something different. It worked out well. I did add baking powder & baking soda. I found the flavor a bit lacking. I'm not sure why. :/ I used the cornbread to make dressing.
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 cup flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups cornmeal
- 2 eggs
- 4 -6 tablespoons mayonnaise (*JFG brand*)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon pan dripping
- 1 cup buttermilk
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix all ingredients together.
- Put the tbs of grease in cast iron skillet to make the cornbread crusty, then pour in all ingredients.
- (*Make sure the batter is not thin and runny, if so, add equal consistencies of flour and cornmeal to thicken*).
- I sometimes add a little bit of salt, and a tbs of sugar, but this is optional.
- Bake on 400-425 degrees for 25-30 minutes.