Recipe by Shahana
I grew up with these as a special treat. Best when warm and lots of butter. Not meant to be healthy just yummie.
- 1 1⁄2 cups sifted flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1⁄4 cup butter, chilled
- 1⁄3 cup mixed dried fruit
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Directions See How It's Made
- Sift together - flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and sugar.
- Work in the butter until mixture is like coarse meal.
- Mix in the dried fruit.
- Stir in beaten egg and vanilla.
- Gather dough into a ball (add a small amount of milk just to make dough workable, if necessary).
- Knead approximately 15 times until smooth.
- Chill in fridge for 30 - 60 minutes.
- Preheat electric frypan without oil or grease to 300 degrees F.
- On well floured board goll or pat dough to 1/3 - 1/2 inch thickness.
- Cut in 2 inch circles.
- "Bake" in frypan on first side 4 - 5 minutes.
- Turn and brown on second side approximately 4 minute.
- Place on paper towel to cool.