Recipe by chia
Ok, not for the heart healthy folk, but my gramma would be proud--a modernized version of a family treasure. You can always use canola oil instead of the chicken fat. This is my holiday staple, my once a year New Year appetizer.
Top Review by Mirj
This is good chopped liver! It's pretty much the same recipe as mine, except I use 4 large onions to 1 pound of liver as opposed to chia's one onion. This made a good, stiff pate, you could actually do liver sculptures with this stuff! The taste is great, especially if you can get a hold of some shmaltz. Thanks chia, it's good!
- 1 lb chicken liver
- 3 tablespoons chicken fat (SHMALTZ)
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 hard-boiled eggs, chopped
- onion powder
- garlic powder
Directions See How It's Made
- In microwave, cook chicken livers and fat until done, about 5 minutes (use a pie dish).
- Remove livers with a slotted spoon, add onions and microwave until cooked, about 3 minutes.
- Meanwhile hard boil eggs in saucepan until done.
- Add livers, fat and onions to food processor; pulse until all ingredients are chopped fine.
- Mash eggs and add seasoning. Add liver mixture to egg mixture.
- Serve chopped liver on greens, surrounded by tomatoes, and lettuce. Serve with toast points or crackers.