Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
This recipe has evolved over time and it's the one my family likes best.
- 750 g extra lean ground beef
- 1 large onion, medium dice
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 cup red bell pepper, medium dice
- 1⁄2 cup green bell pepper, medium dice
- 35 g reduced-sodium taco seasoning mix, I use President's Choice reduced-sodium taco seasoning mix
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1⁄2 tablespoon dried oregano leaves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 355 ml beer
- 284 ml campbell's fiesta tomato soup
- 284 ml Campbell's French onion soup
- 127 ml old el paso chopped green chilies, undrained
- 1 ounce semisweet baking chocolate square, substitute with 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 540 ml red kidney beans, drained and rinsed thoroughly
- 398 ml heinz baked beans, in tomato sauce or maple style is good
- 341 ml canned corn niblets, undrained
- In a 4 quart Dutch oven with lid, brown the ground beef.
- Add the onion, garlic and red and green bell peppers.
- Stir in the taco seasoning, ground cumin, coriander, dried oregano and black pepper. Cook 5 minutes.
- Add the beer, tomato soup, onion soup, can of green chilies, baking chocolate and molasses.
- Cover with a tight fitting lid and simmer on low for 45 minutes - keep stirring occasionally so it doesn't burn on the bottom.
- Add red kidney beans and baked beans and cook a further 15 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and stir in the canned corn.
- Serve with a dollop of reduced fat sour cream and corn bread muffins.