Recipe by QueenJellyBean
My grandma made all kinds of cookies. A visit to grandma's house always meant there was a cookie jar full of homemade cookies. These were always my favorite cookie. My cousin used to call these "dinnersnaps" and when Grandma tells the story there is still a sparkle in her eye..... To get the "right" color you have to use dark brown sugar. Time doesn't include chill time.
- 1 1⁄2 cups shortening
- 2 cups dark brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup molasses
- 4 cups flour, sifted
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 4 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ginger
- 1 -2 teaspoon clove (I like a spicy cookie so I use 2)
Directions See How It's Made
- Cream together shortening, brown sugar and eggs.
- Add molasses and mix thoroughly.
- Sift dry ingredients together and add to creamed mixture mixing well.
- Chill thoroughly at least two hours or overnight.
- Shape into one inch balls, roll in granulated sugar.
- Place on greased cookie sheet 2 inches apart.
- Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 12-15 minutes.