Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a family favorite meal and one I make for special occasions, such as birthday dinners. The cooking method of this particular version is different from the conventional chicken parmigiana recipes I always used to make. Once I tried this much easier and moister version, I never went back to the "old" method. I often use homemade sauce in this, but a good-quality bottled sauce, such as Classico or Barilla, is perfectly acceptable as well. I serve this chicken atop mounds of freshly cooked pasta with some additional heated sauce. I have often chosen to replace the mozzarella with thin slices of Provolone cheese. NOTE: Edited to add that pounding the chicken is not necessary with this method. Part of what is unique about this recipe is that even the meatier pieces of chicken get so moist & tender as it braises in the sauce.
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 1 egg, beaten lightly
- 118.29 ml Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
- 14.79-29.58 ml margarine or 14.79-29.58 ml butter
- 414.03 ml prepared spaghetti sauce (homemade or bottled)
- 118.29 ml shredded mozzarella cheese or 118.29 ml sliced provolone cheese
- 14.79 ml parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- 59.14 ml fresh parsley, finely chopped
- cooked spaghetti, to serve
- Beat egg and set into a rimmed plate.
- Set bread crumbs in a second rimmed plate.
- Dip chicken breasts into the egg, then into the crumbs,coating both sides and shaking off excess.
- Melt butter or margarine over medium heat in a large, deep skillet. Add chicken breast halves to the pan and brown on both sides - just enough to brown the chicken, not to fully cook it yet.
- Pour spaghetti sauce into the pan, immediately reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer until the chicken has cooked all the way through, about 15-20 minutes but the time will vary depending upon the thickness and size of your chicken breasts.
- Sprinkle with parsley and cheeses, re-cover, and simmer just until cheese melts- about 5 minutes.
- Serve with cooked spaghetti.
This is very easy and the chicken is moist. Even my very picky daughter liked it. I will be making this again.
This is a great way to prepare chicken! It is so easy and so good. I couldn't believe how tender the chicken was. I flattened the chicken breasts before breading them. I served the chicken with noodles and a salad.
Absolutely excellent, easy to make, and quick enough to be a weekday dinner. This goes in my file of recipes I use all the time.