1/3 Photos of My Chicken Parmigiana
This is a family favorite meal and one I make for special occasions, such as birthday dinners. The cooking method of this particular version is different from the conventional chicken parmigiana recipes I always used to make. Once I tried this much easier and moister version, I never went back to the "old" method. I often use homemade sauce in this, but a good-quality bottled sauce, such as Classico or Barilla, is perfectly acceptable as well. I serve this chicken atop mounds of freshly cooked pasta with some additional heated sauce. I have often chosen to replace the mozzarella with thin slices of Provolone cheese. NOTE: Edited to add that pounding the chicken is not necessary with this method. Part of what is unique about this recipe is that even the meatier pieces of chicken get so moist & tender as it braises in the sauce.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 1 egg, beaten lightly
- 1/2 cup Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
- 1 -2 tablespoon margarine or 1 -2 tablespoon butter
- 1 3/4 cups prepared spaghetti sauce (homemade or bottled)
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese or 1/2 cup sliced provolone cheese
- 1 tablespoon parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, finely chopped
- cooked spaghetti, to serve
- 1Beat egg and set into a rimmed plate.
- 2Set bread crumbs in a second rimmed plate.
- 3Dip chicken breasts into the egg, then into the crumbs,coating both sides and shaking off excess.
- 4Melt butter or margarine over medium heat in a large, deep skillet. Add chicken breast halves to the pan and brown on both sides - just enough to brown the chicken, not to fully cook it yet.
- 5Pour spaghetti sauce into the pan, immediately reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer until the chicken has cooked all the way through, about 15-20 minutes but the time will vary depending upon the thickness and size of your chicken breasts.
- 6Sprinkle with parsley and cheeses, re-cover, and simmer just until cheese melts- about 5 minutes.
- 7Serve with cooked spaghetti.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for My Chicken Parmigiana
Serving Size: 1 (224 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 332.6
- Calories from Fat 116
- Total Fat 12.9 g
- Saturated Fat 4.3 g
- Cholesterol 135.4 mg
- Sodium 790.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 18.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.3 g
- Sugars 6.0 g
- Protein 33.4 g