Recipe by Koriander
This recipe is a combination of two other recipes from which I added/deleted ingredients. I layer my enchiladas rather than roll - much easier and less mess. We really enjoy these and hope you will too.
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 4 garlic cloves, pressed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon cilantro
- 1 brown onion, finely chopped
- 1 (4 1/2 ounce) can green chilies, chopped
- 3 teaspoons jalapenos, pre-diced (I use Mt. Olive brand)
- 2 tablespoons oil, for cooking chicken
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1 (8 ounce) container sour cream
- 1 dash hot sauce (optional)
- 1 (8 ounce) can red enchilada sauce
- 6 -8 corn tortillas
- 2 bunches green onions, chopped with 1/3 of tops
- 1 (4 1/2 ounce) can black olives, chopped
- 1 (8 ounce) package sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut chicken into one inch cubes. Rinse well and pat dry.
- Mix together garlic, chopped onion, green chilies, cilantro, jalapeños, cumin, and pepper. Mix well with chicken and let sit for one hour.
- Meanwhile, thoroughly blend cream cheese, sour cream, and a dash or two of your favorite hot sauce. (example: our favorite Vidalia Onion and Peach Hot Sauce. Chipotle is another popular favorite). Or leave hot sauce out, if you prefer. Set aside.
- Stir fry chicken and ingredients on medium heat until done--DON'T overcook.
- Drain all excess liquid from pan, reduce heat and simmer for 3 more minutes.
- Remove chicken (minus any extra liquid) and add to the cream cheese/sour cream mixture.
- Mix together and set aside.
- Assembly line setup:.
- corn tortillas; one can enchilada sauce; one 8x8 bake pan; one 9x12 casserole dish.
- Lightly cover the bottom of 9x12 casserole dish with enchilada sauce, and pour the rest into the 8x8 bake pan.
- Take three tortillas and saturate in enchilada sauce in 8x8 pan. Place on bottom of 9x12 dish overlapping edges.
- Now cut another 3 tortillas in half, saturate in enchilada sauce, and fill up the empty spaces in the 9x12 dish. Cut additional tortillas, if needed.
- Add the chicken mixture and spread evenly.
- Sprinkle half of the black olives, green onions, and cheddar cheese on top of chicken.
- Follow the same step above for enchilada-saturated corn tortillas in creating the top layer on chicken.
- Spread remaining enchilada sauce over top.
- Sprinkle with remaining black olives, green onions, and cheddar cheese.
- Bake at 400 for 20-25 minutes.