Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is an easy chinese meal instead of take out you can make your own - I find I can save a lot of time by pre chopping my veggies and placing them in ziplock bags - this means you can have this meal ready in the time it takes to make the rice
- 1⁄2 cup chicken stock
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch, tapioca starch
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 3⁄4 lb chicken (Skinned, raw)
- 1⁄2 lb bok choy (or Nappa)
- 4 water chestnuts
- 1⁄4 lb snow peas
- 1⁄2 cup bamboo shoot, diced
- 1⁄4 cup celery, diced
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 3⁄4 cup almonds (blanched)
- 1 tablespoon gingerroot (fresh sliced)
- 2 tablespoons garlic (minced)
- 1⁄4 cup onion, chopped (Any other veggies desired)
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup rice
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- Rice: I cook mine in the microwave for 18 minutes, in a covered 2 qt microwave safe dish.
- Sauce: In a small bowl, mix half the stock with soy sauce, sugar and pepper. In a separate bowl, combine remaining stock and cornstarch. Set aside. (I use 1 cube chicken bouillon with 1/2 cup water).
- Stir Fry: Dice chicken (or pork or beef), mushrooms, cabbage, and water chestnuts into 1/4 inch cubes. Keep chicken separate. String and trim peas. Combine diced vegetables, snow peas, bamboo shoots and celery. I often vary my ingredients. I use as alternatives or additions, kale, sun chokes, jicama, or any other ingredient you like.
- Heat wok over high heat til drop of water sizzles into steam. Add oil, ( only use about 1 tbsp) heat and add almonds; stir fry for about 2 min or till just golden. With slotted spoon, remove almonds, set aside.
- Reheat oil and add ginger and garlic and stir fry 30 seconds. Remove ginger and garlic and discard. Add chicken. Stir fry for 2 minutes. Add all vegetables and toss to coat with oil. Stir fry for 30 seconds. Add soy sauce mix. Cover and steam for 2 minutes or till vegetables are tender but crisp and chicken cooked through. Stir cornstarch mix and pour into wok. Stir fry uncovered for 30 seconds or till ingredients are glazed. Transfer to heated platter and serve topped with almonds. Serve over rice.
Excellent, as Ravenseyes says, the secret to this is pre-preparation. I chopped everything earlier in the day, and this was quickly prepared when suppertime came, the rice was the longest part! As the chef says, its very versatile, I used most of the suggested vegetables, and added some thinly sliced zucchini and carrots, because you can never have too many veggies :D Everyone loved this, and DS wants me to be there next time I'm preparing it so that he can learn to cook this way for himself, he enjoys it so much. Loved the toasted almonds, all in all this is a deliciously healthy meal, and we'll be having it again!