Recipe by QueenJellyBean
I love the mexican rice at the restaurants but don't always have the time to go through all the steps of making "the real deal". So a girlfriend and I experimented with this one night and we thought it turned out pretty good! Now it is my fall back recipe when I am in a hurry! You can find the bouillon in the ethnic part of the grocery store. I buy the Maggi brand Caldo Sabor a Pollo y Tomate. You can adjust the bouillion to make it stronger or weaker....
- 1 1⁄2 cups long grain rice, uncooked
- 2 tablespoons butter (or margarine)
- 3 1⁄4 cups chicken broth (or water)
- 2 tablespoons tomato bouillon with chicken flavor
- 1 (4 ounce) can diced green chilies, undrained
Directions See How It's Made
- Rinse the rice in lukewarm water for 1-2 minutes.
- In a large frying pan, melt the butter/margarine and then add the rice.
- Fry the rice until it turns white and starts to brown -- kinda like making rice a roni.
- Add the broth/water, bouillon and green chiles.
- Bring to a boil and then reduce heat and cook for 20-30 minutes until all moisture is absorbed and rice is done.
- Can be garnished with shredded cheddar and or sliced green onion.