Recipe by BakinBaby
Watch out Starbucks, you'll be out of business in no time. When word gets out about this easy to make mix you'll be crying the blues. It makes a lovely Christmas Gift in a Jar or heck make it for yourself and drink up every morning, and skip the 5 buck trip to Starbucks. The nutmeg and allspice is an added spice hit, use as desired. Also, I've been playing around with the amount of sugar, I like the sweetness with just 1/2 cup sugar. If you don't care for the residue in the bottom of your cup, I understand you can strain it with a fine sieve. Food for thought. Note 12-21-12 (I want to thank the gal that just reviewed The Chai Tea.... she used it in her K coffee machine by just running hot water into the cup, perfect temperature for the tea mix)
Top Review by flatlanderinVT
I won't rate because I didn't follow the directions exactly - My overall result was pretty good but not great. Something was missing but I couldn't put my finger on it...
I added everything including the optional ingredients (um, since when is cardamom expensive? It's very inexpensive at any ethnic grocer), but I only used plain coffee creamer (2 1/2 cups) and added a scraped vanilla bean to the mix. All said and done, I had to do some tweeking to get it to a place that tasted right - I added the full amount of sugar plus some (since none of my coffee creamer had sugar in it, i guess?) and extra of most of the spices.
I separated the mix into little glass jars and added half of a vanilla bean (left over from scraping) to each to slowly infuse more vanilla. They look very pretty : )
- 236.59 ml nonfat dry milk powder
- 236.59 ml non-dairy powdered coffee creamer
- 354.88 ml french vanilla non-dairy coffee creamer
- 236.59 ml sugar (you can use from 1/2 cup to 1 1/2 cups sugar)
- 591.47 ml unsweetened instant tea
- 9.85 ml ginger
- 9.85 ml cinnamon
- 4.92 ml clove
- 4.92 ml cardamom
- 4.92 ml nutmeg (optional)
- 4.92 ml allspice (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix milk powder, non-dairy creamers, sugar, instant tea,ginger,cinnmon,cloves,cardamon,nutmeg and allspice.
- Blend 1 cup at a time in a food processor until mixture is the consistency of fine powder.
- Store in an airtight container.
- To serve: Stir 3 tablespoons Chai Tea Mixture into a cup of hot water.
- For an extra caffine punch; add an additional 1 teaspoons instant tea or add Chai Tea Mix to your cup of brewed tea.
- Oh -- yea, relaxation time my friends.