Prep 5 mins
Cook 0 mins
Watch out Starbucks, you'll be out of business in no time. When word gets out about this easy to make mix you'll be crying the blues. It makes a lovely Christmas Gift in a Jar or heck make it for yourself and drink up every morning, and skip the 5 buck trip to Starbucks. The nutmeg and allspice is an added spice hit, use as desired. Also, I've been playing around with the amount of sugar, I like the sweetness with just 1/2 cup sugar. If you don't care for the residue in the bottom of your cup, I understand you can strain it with a fine sieve. Food for thought. Note 12-21-12 (I want to thank the gal that just reviewed The Chai Tea.... she used it in her K coffee machine by just running hot water into the cup, perfect temperature for the tea mix)
- 236.59 ml nonfat dry milk powder
- 236.59 ml non-dairy powdered coffee creamer
- 354.88 ml french vanilla non-dairy coffee creamer
- 236.59 ml sugar (you can use from 1/2 cup to 1 1/2 cups sugar)
- 591.47 ml unsweetened instant tea
- 9.85 ml ginger
- 9.85 ml cinnamon
- 4.92 ml clove
- 4.92 ml cardamom
- 4.92 ml nutmeg (optional)
- 4.92 ml allspice (optional)
- Mix milk powder, non-dairy creamers, sugar, instant tea,ginger,cinnmon,cloves,cardamon,nutmeg and allspice.
- Blend 1 cup at a time in a food processor until mixture is the consistency of fine powder.
- Store in an airtight container.
- To serve: Stir 3 tablespoons Chai Tea Mixture into a cup of hot water.
- For an extra caffine punch; add an additional 1 teaspoons instant tea or add Chai Tea Mix to your cup of brewed tea.
- Oh -- yea, relaxation time my friends.
I won't rate because I didn't follow the directions exactly - My overall result was pretty good but not great. Something was missing but I couldn't put my finger on it...
I added everything including the optional ingredients (um, since when is cardamom expensive? It's very inexpensive at any ethnic grocer), but I only used plain coffee creamer (2 1/2 cups) and added a scraped vanilla bean to the mix. All said and done, I had to do some tweeking to get it to a place that tasted right - I added the full amount of sugar plus some (since none of my coffee creamer had sugar in it, i guess?) and extra of most of the spices.
I separated the mix into little glass jars and added half of a vanilla bean (left over from scraping) to each to slowly infuse more vanilla. They look very pretty : )
AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH You have ruined me for-ev-ah. Made for Everyday Is A Holiday.
This is really great! I haven't had the chai tea from starbuck's, but DS has developed a liking for it. So I tasted it, and I'm sending him half of the mix to have at college. Thanks for sharing your lovely mix!