Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
A hot spiced drink that is great paired with cookies and cakes. Make it with or without caffeine.
Make and share this My-Chai recipe from Food.com.
- 6 cups water
- 1 tablespoon loose black tea leaves, not flavored (optional)
- 2 inches piece fresh ginger
- 1 sprig of fresh mint
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1 star anise, pod
- 4 green cardamom pods
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1⁄2 a vanilla beans or 1⁄2 vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon dried lavender
- 1 teaspoon whole cloves
- milk or cream
- In a kettle bring your water to a boil.
- Cut off your chunk of ginger, peel it and smash it with a mallet.
- Place a tea basket in your tea pot and fill it with all the ingredients except the honey and milk.
- Pour the boiling water over the herbal mixture and allow to steep for 3-5 minutes. If you don't want the caffeine omit the black tea leaves but then you will need to let it steep for 5-7 minutes.
- In the bottom of each mug put about 1 good table spoon of honey and about a half inch of milk or cream. Stir vigorously to dissolve the honey in the milk.
- Pour the tea into the mixture and enjoy!
- Additional Notes:.
- If you do not have a tea pot you can boil your water in a saucepan and drop the herbs into the pan to steep. Pour and strain to serve.
- Also, the honey and milk amounts can be adjusted according to your individual taste.
- Smashing the ginger helps it to better release its flavor in the tea. This is a great alternative to coffee after a meal and goes great with cakes and cookies.
Delicious! I like the addition of mint & lavender. Made for My3Chefs 6/12.