1/3 Photos of My Carnitas
3 hrs 15 mins
This is one of my Husbands favorite dishes. The ingredients are approximates as I usually do not measure and I usually use a 4-6 lb. roast bone-in or bone-less. It does freeze well, just sprinkle with some water and wrap in foil to reheat.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Place meat in 3 qrt sauce pan, add water until meat is just covered.
- 2Smack garlic with a knife to release flavor add to pot along with onion, salt, oregano and cumin.
- 3Bring to boil, skim skum, reduce heat, cover simmer 2 hours.
- 4Preheat oven to 350.
- 5Drain meat, place in baking dish, sprinkle evenly with season salt and garlic powder.
- 6You have a few options here.
- 7You can either bake it whole, break into chunks (Dh prefers this) or shred thickly (I prefer) I usually do some chunks and shreds.
- 8Bake 30-45 minute You do not want it to get to crispy if you shredded it first. Watch carefully as you do not want it to dry out.
- 9While still warm shred with 2 forks if left whole.
- 10Serve with warm tortillas and pico de gallo.
Browse Our Top Pork Recipes
Nutritional Facts for My Carnitas
Serving Size: 1 (162 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 511.2
- Calories from Fat 320
- Total Fat 35.6 g
- Saturated Fat 12.3 g
- Cholesterol 149.6 mg
- Sodium 720.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 1.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.2 g
- Sugars 0.6 g
- Protein 42.7 g