Prep 40 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
This is my favourite cabbage roll recipe. They are low-fat, easy to make, produce high yield, and are cleaned up whatever party I bring them to. They provide all four food groups in one dish.
- 1 kg extra lean ground beef
- 1 carrot
- 2 medium onions (I use VIdalia or red)
- 19.71 ml salt
- 9.85 ml pepper
- 2 eggs
- 236.59 ml raw long grain rice
- 25 steamed cabbage leaves
- 226.79 g can diced tomatoes (or fresh ones)
- 118.29 ml brown sugar
- 1000.0 ml tomato sauce (unsweetened)
- 158.51 ml water
- 59.14 ml lemon juice
- sour cream
- Take the cabbage head and core. Use one big head or two medium sized heads. Carefully peel 25 outer leaves, preferring the green ones.
- Using a pot of hot water, or a bamboo steamer, steam them for 3 - 5 minutes, until pliable. Set aside.
- Make the filling.
- Take one wilted leaf, and put a lime sized ball of filling inside. Tuck the top end, and sides and turn upside down into the pan. Continue until all lettuce leaves have been used.
- Mix the sauce and pour over the cabbage rolls.
- Cover each pan tightly with aluminum foil. Bake in preheated 475F oven for 1 hour. Uncover, and bake for another 15 minutes.
- Serve with a dollop of sour cream.
Excellent recipe. I used when I was away from home for a family gathering and it was a big hit! Economical to prepare and big on taste! I'll definitely make again. Thanks again The Sorrell Family