1/3 Photos of My Brother Vlad's Chili
1 hr 15 mins
very good, basic chili recipe that I use as a base when I make my own variations...posted for safekeeping!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 lb ground beef
- 28 ounces Italian-style diced tomatoes or 28 ounces plum tomatoes
- 6 ounces tomato paste
- 1 3/4 cups beef broth
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1cook onions and garlic until soft.
- 2add meat and brown.
- 3add all other ingredients and simmer 30 min (if using whole tomatoes, use kitchen scissors to cut up into small pieces inside the can).
- 4add beans and cook 20 min more.
- 5serve with rice, cornbread, or tortilla chips!
- 6variations: use 2 t spices; add 1 t cayenne; add chorizo (soft) to your chili base; use 1 bottle dark beer instead of beef broth (like negro modelo). I have used ground turkey instead of beef, and add a can of black beans or pinto beans (for 2 cans total of beans). I also like to add bell peppers (diced) and/or jalapeno peppers.
Browse Our Top North American Recipes
Nutritional Facts for My Brother Vlad's Chili
Serving Size: 1 (408 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 442.7
- Calories from Fat 172
- Total Fat 19.1 g
- Saturated Fat 7.1 g
- Cholesterol 77.1 mg
- Sodium 2079.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 38.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 11.7 g
- Sugars 13.8 g
- Protein 32.4 g