I took eleventy three recipes from here, messed them all up and this is the result. This is a great breakfast or lunch dish and is easily reheated. Use whatever kind of mushroom you like, I used portabella. The crust can be either the roll out kind, frozen or homemade. I used the roll out kind.
- 1 ready-made pie crust
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 cup fresh broccoli, cut into smallish pieces, dice the peeled stems
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup bell pepper, chopped, any color will work
- 1⁄4 cup mushroom, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup low-fat cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, shredded
- 1 cup Egg Beaters egg substitute, egg substitute
- 1⁄4 cup skim milk
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- salt and pepper
- Pre-bake pie shell in a deep pie plate for about 10 minutes, till the shell is slightly tan but not browning.
- While the shell is baking sauté the onion, bell pepper, and mushrooms in the oil till they are slightly tender.
- Add broccoli to the pan towards the end and sauté.
- When the crust is done put veggies in the crust.
- Sprinkle cheddar over veggie mixture and top with parmesan.
- In a small bowl combine eggbeaters, milk, garlic powder, salt and pepper.
- Mix well.
- Pour over the veggie mixture and cheeses, being careful not to overfill.
- Bake at 350 until done and no longer jiggly in the center, about 30 minutes.
- Allow to cool for 15-20 minutes before cutting.
- This can be cut into portions, wrapped in plastic wrap and re-heated for 2 minutes in the microwave.
I made this for Christmas Morning without the crust. FANTASTIC! Leftovers reheated very well. And it fits very nicely into our healthier lifestyle.
Oh Riff, this was so yummy!DoryJean54 recommended I make this and I am so happy I did! I must admit I didn't use the crust because I just have to skip the extra calories.I am so glad I decided to do this because the egg mixture is wonderful all by itself and I could eat more of it:) Thank you so much for posting your creation.
I just took this out of the oven & could hardly wait to try it, OMG it was delious! I had a real hard time not going back for a 2nd. piece! I have trouble with portion control, if it's good I want to keep eating it! I don't like eggbeaters at all by themself but mixed in someting no problem...I did use my own piecrust though, I am a homemade piecrust snob, I used red peppers & green onions though..but followed everything else. Very very good! I'll be making this for a long time!