Recipe by Janecooksswell
This is my version of a black bean cake served at our local mexican restaurant. This is a favorite vegetarian option for Meatless Monday at our house. Feel free to adapt this recipe to your family's preferences - it is very friendly to change.
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 lime, juice of
- 1⁄2 cup red pepper, chopped
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 jalapeno, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 cup masa harina
- 1 cup corn
- oil, of your choice for sauteing
Directions See How It's Made
- In 1 T. oil, saute onion, red pepper, jalapeno, and garlic till soft-about 5 minutes. Add cumin and set aside.
- Puree 1 can of beans in a food processor till smooth. Add sauteed vegetables, corn, and lime juice and pulse briefly to combine.
- Transfer mixture to a mixing bowl. Add masa harina, 2nd can of beans, and season to taste with salt and pepper. Mix well and form into patties using a 1/4 cup measure. (Patties can be held in the fridge at this point for up to a day).
- Dredge patties in breadcrumbs.
- Heat 2 T. oil over med-high heat and fry cakes 5 minutes per side till hot. Serve with your favorite sauce. Enjoy!