Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
The original recipe came from Cooks.com but I changed it a little to make it more "diet friendly". Sometimes I leave out the "optional" caraway seeds since I don't really care for them that much. I like to use 1/4 cup orange flavored dried cranberries (craisins) and 1/4 cup golden raisins. Be sure to plump whichever you use in the 3/4 cup of water in the microwave just short of boiling before adding.
- 6 tablespoons shortening (All Vegetable Crisco)
- 2 cups bisquick heart smart biscuit mix
- 1 tablespoon Splenda granular
- 1⁄2 cup golden raisin (orange flavored dried cranberries-craisins)
- 1 tablespoon caraway seed (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup nonfat dry milk powder
- 3⁄4 cup water
- nonstick baking spray with flour
- Add shortening and powdered milk to biscuit mix and cut in with 2 knives until mix is like coarse meal.
- Plump raisins or craisins in 3/4 cup water in microwave for a few seconds just short of boiling.
- Add sugar, and caraways seeds and plumped raisins or craisins along with the water to the flour mixture and stir until well blended.
- Spread with your hands in the bottom in a flour sprayed 9 inch pie plate.
- Bake in 375 degree oven for 30 minutes.
This had great flavor (I included the caraway) but was a bit too crumbly (I often find things made with Bisquick to be too crumbly). I cut recipe in half and baked in a smaller dish for about for about 20 minutes. Ingredient list was not in order of when added (sorry, pet peeve) :). Made for Spring 2013 PAC.