Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
This is the recipe my mom used when I was a kid. Each one of us got to pick what we wanted for our birthday supper and what kind of cake. I ALWAYS picked this angel food cake and Swiss Steak. I still love both.
- 1 cup cake flour, sifted
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups egg whites (about 12)
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond flavoring
- NOTE~~All ingredients MUST be room temperature.
- Sift together the flour and 3/4 cup of the sugar about 3 times.
- Combine salt and egg whites and beat till foamy. Add Cream of tartar to egg whites and beat till stiff peaks form.
- Fold remaining 3/4 cup of sugar into egg whites, folding 2 tablespoons at a time till used up.
- Fold in vanilla and almond flavorings.
- Sift flour mixture in a few tablespoons at a time, folding carefully.
- Pour into angel food pan or tube pan (ungreased) and bake at 325° for 60 to 70 minutes, or till top of cake is golden brown.
- Turn pan upside down and let cool 1 hour before removing.