My recipe for a classic Greek salad.
Make and share this My Big Fat Greek Salad recipe from Food.com.
SALAD (ADJUST TO PREFERENCE)
- 1 medium red onion, sliced into 1/4-inch rings
- 1 hothouse cucumber, sliced in 1/3-inch thick half-rounds
- 2 vine-ripened plum tomatoes, cut into half-wedges
- 1⁄2 quartered green bell pepper, sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 1⁄2 cup whole pitted kalamata olive
- pickled Greek peppers (whole or sliced) (optional)
- romaine lettuce, torn into bite-sized pieces (optional)
- 4 -6 ounces feta cheese, cut into 1-inch dice
DRESSING (ADJUST TO PREFERENCE)
- 6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon finely grated fresh lemon zest
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 pressed small fresh garlic cloves or 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried mint (optional)
- NOTE: MARINATE SALAD IN REFRIGERATOR FOR 30 MINUTES OR LONGER, THEN RE-SEASON WITH FINE SEA SALT AND RE-TOSS BEFORE SERVING.
- PEEL and slice red onion into 1/4" rings; PLACE onion slices in a bowl of cold water.
- REFRIGERATE bowl of water with onions until needed (the cold soak will diffuse sharpness and/or bitterness).
- PREPARE DRESSING: Finely grate 1/4 teaspoon fresh lemon zest. Knead and cut lemons into halves to juice, yielding 1 1/2 tablespoons juice. Whisk together all ingredients in a small mixing bowl. Set aside at room temperature to allow flavors to infuse. FOR A TANGIER DRESSING: Add up to 2 1/2 - 3 tablespoons extra red wine vinegar, plus sugar to balance acidity. FOR A LIGHTER DRESSING: Replace some of the olive oil with kalamata olive brine before adding sea salt, then adjust salt according to taste.
- PREP the remaining vegetables to specifications; DICE the feta cheese into 1-inch cubes.
- REMOVE onions from water and blot dry.
- COMBINE all ingredients except feta cheese in a large bowl.
- POUR the dressing over vegetables and gently toss until evenly blended.
- SPRINKLE top of salad with feta cheese (if desired you can gently fold feta with salad to moisten with dressing).
- SERVE and enjoy.