Prep 5 mins
Cook 45 mins
My recipe for Greek-style rice pilaf.
Make and share this My Big Fat Greek Pilaf recipe from Food.com.
- 1 cup long grain rice
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons orzo pasta, broken into short strips or 2 tablespoons spaghetti, broken into 1 inch strips
- 1 tablespoon sliced almonds
- 1 tablespoon whole pine nuts
- 2 cups vegetable broth or 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon thinly snipped green onion top
- 1 tablespoon snipped fresh parsley
- 1⁄2 tablespoon snipped fresh dill or 1⁄4 teaspoon dried dill
- 1⁄2 tablespoon snipped of fresh mint or 1⁄4 teaspoon dried mint
- 1 teaspoon garlic paste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon honey or 1⁄4 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh lemon zest
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed dried oregano
- 1 dash fresh ground black pepper
- 1 dash fine sea salt
- 2 tablespoons crumbled feta cheese
- MELT 2 tablespoons butter over medium-low heat in a medium saucepan.
- ADD 1 cup rice, 2 tablespoons orzo or spaghetti, 1 tablespoon sliced almonds and 1 tablespoon pine nuts.
- SAUTE to an even light golden brown color, being careful not to overbrown or scorch.
- ADD 2 cups vegetable broth or 2 cups chicken broth, 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice, 1 tablespoon thinly snipped green onion tops, 1 tablespoon snipped fresh parsley, 1/2 tablespoon snipped fresh dill or 1/4 teaspoon dried dill , 1/2 tablespoon snipped fresh mint or 1/4 teaspoon dried mint, 1 teaspoon garlic paste, 1/2 teaspoon honey or 1/4 teaspoon sugar, 1/4 teaspoon fresh lemon zest, 1/4 teaspoon crushed dried oregano, 1 dash fresh ground black pepper, 1 dash fine sea salt; STIR; TASTE the broth (It should be slightly salty, slightly tangy and not too bitter. Now is the time to make any adjustments).
- BRING to a rolling boil; ALLOW to boil for 1 minute.
- REDUCE heat to lowest setting.
- SIMMER covered for 35-40 minutes.
- FLUFF rice with a fork.
- FOLD in feta cheese to rice until just combined.
- SERVE with your favorite meat, fish or vegetable entree and ENJOY!
Superb rice dish! I used basmati rice, and subbed vegetable broth. The mint is the magic element, I think!