1/2 Photos of My Big Fat Greek Meatballs
The Spice Guru's Note:
My recipe for keftedes -- Greek meatballs.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb fresh ground lamb (other ground meat may be substituted)
- 1/2 cup finely minced onions or 1 -2 tablespoon minced onion flakes
- 1 -3 minced garlic clove
- 1/2 cup finely minced pimiento-free green olives or 1/2 cup kalamata olive
- 1 cup crumbled feta cheese or 1 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (juice of 1 lemon)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley or 1 1/2 teaspoons parsley flakes
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh mint or 1 teaspoon dried mint
- 1 1/4 teaspoons fine sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon finely grated fresh lemon zest (yellow rind only)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1/2 cup fresh breadcrumb (crust removed)
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/8 cup ouzo liqueur or 1/8 cup Pernod or 1 teaspoon anise extract
- olive oil (for frying)
- flour (to coat before frying)
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1/2 cup cucumber, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill or 1 1/2 teapoons dried dill
- 3/4 teaspoon chopped fresh mint or 1/4 teaspoon dried mint
- 1/2 teaspoon finely minced fresh garlic
- 2 -3 teaspoons thinly snipped green onion tops (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon finely grated fresh lemon zest (yellow rind only)
- 1TRADITIONAL PREPARATION METHOD: INTO a large bowl add the MAIN INGREDIENTS without mixing (1 lb fresh ground lamb (other ground meat may be added and/or substituted), 1/2 cup finely minced onions or 1-2 tablespoons minced onion flakes, 1-3 minced garlic clove, 1/2 cup finely minced pimiento-free olives (green or kalamata), 1 cup crumbled feta cheese or 1 cup grated parmesan cheese, 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (juice of 1 lemon), 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley or 1 1/2 teaspoons parsley flakes, 1 tablespoon chopped fresh mint or 1 teaspoon dried mint, 1 1/4 teaspoons fine sea salt, 1/2 teaspoon finely grated fresh lemon zest, 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice, 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon, 1 teaspoon ground cumin, 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg, 1/2 teaspoon crushed dried oregano, 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper, 1/4 teaspoon white pepper; BEAT a one egg with 1 tablespoon flour in a small bowl; POUR 1/4 cup milk and 1/8 cup ouzo or Pernod (or 1 teaspoon anise extract) into the egg and flour mixture; ADD 1/2 cup bread crumbs; ALLOW breadcrumbs to soak; ADD soaked bread crumb mixture to meat mixture; MIX well; CHILL meatball mixture until very cold (40 degrees F).
- 2ALTERNATE QUICK METHOD: INTO large food processor add 1/4 cup milk, 1 egg, 1 tablespoon flour, 1/8 cup ouzo (or 1 teaspoon anise extract) and 1/2 cup bread crumbs; PROCESS; ADD the MAIN INGREDIENTS except for ground lamb and feta cheese; PROCESS; ADD ground lamb; PROCESS (Feta cheese may be added to mixture now and processed or folded into after); REMOVE meat from processor; CHILL meatball mixture until very cold (you may use freezer).
- 3ROLL meat mixture into walnut-sized balls.
- 4SCANT pour 1 cup flour into a tear-resistant bag.
- 5PLACE uncooked meatballs into a bag containing flour.
- 6GENTLY shake a few meatballs at a time in bag with flour.
- 7REPEAT procedure until all meatballs are coated with flour.
- 8FRY flour-coated meatballs in at least 1/2 inch hot olive oil until browned and fully cooked, about 1/2 batch at a time (meatballs may be deep-fried in a deep-fryer, or in an electric wok, which is the easiest method providing the best results).
- 9COMBINE the TZATZIKI SAUCE recipe ingredients and chill. Use this as a sauce, dip or dressing for gyros, or pita sandwiches with sliced cold meatballs in pita bread, or rolled in a flatbread with fresh tomatoes and onions. Delicious!
- 10Serve and say, "OPA"!
Browse Our Top Lamb/Sheep Recipes
Nutritional Facts for My Big Fat Greek Meatballs
Serving Size: 1 (215 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 5
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 471.8
- Calories from Fat 302
- Total Fat 33.5 g
- Saturated Fat 15.8 g
- Cholesterol 138.3 mg
- Sodium 1304.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 17.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.8 g
- Sugars 5.4 g
- Protein 24.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: