Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
My recipe for Greek lemon chicken breasts in white wine sauce with artichoke hearts and capers. It's easy to prepare... and delicious.
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts (butterflied and pounded to 1/4-inch thickness)
- fresh ground sea salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed dried rosemary
- nonstick cooking spray
- olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup dry white wine
- 2 -3 cloves chopped fresh garlic
- 1⁄2 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄2 tablespoon minced of fresh mint
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried dill
- 1 pinch ground cumin
- 1 pinch crushed dried oregano
- 1⁄3 cup water-packed artichoke hearts, drained
- 1 tablespoon nonpariel capers, drained
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- minced fresh parsley
- NOTE: THIS RECIPE MAY BE DOUBLED TO 4 SERVINGS USING THE GIVEN CHICKEN PROPORTIONS, SIMPLY BY USING LARGE BUTTERFLIED CHICKEN BREASTS, DIVIDED INTO 4 SERVING-SIZE CUTLETS (IN THAT CASE, DOUBLE THE SAUTE BUTTER, ALMONDS, AND SAUCE INGREDIENTS, BUT FIRST WHISK 2 TEASPOONS CORNSTARCH INTO THE CHICKEN BROTH BEFORE ADDING, SO SAUCE WILL HAVE THE PROPER CONSISTENCY).(STEP ONE): BUTTERFLY two boneless skinless chicken breasts into open heart-shaped slices; REMOVE any fat, tendon or membrane if present; PLACE butterflied chicken atop a sheet of plastic wrap, then wrap sheet around chicken to cover completely; POUND chicken using a heavy flat mallet, firmly in continuous outward motions, to pound/stretch chicken to 1/4-inch thickness.
- PREP and measure all required ingredients and have close to your cooking station; UNWRAP plastic from chicken and season both sides with fresh ground sea salt and fresh ground black pepper.
- MEASURE 1/4 cup flour into a large plastic resealable container or zip-lock bag; ADD 1/4 teaspoon crushed dried rosemary to flour; SEAL container and shake to blend; PLACE one seasoned chicken piece into container; SEAL container; SHAKE and swirl container to coat chicken thoroughly and evenly; REPEAT dredging procedure with remaining chicken.
- INTO a small mixing bowl, whisk together the following SAUCE ingredients (omitting white wine, garlic and butter): 1/2 cup low sodium chicken broth, 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, 1/2 tablespoon minced fresh mint, 1/4 teaspoon dried dill, 1 pinch ground cumin and 1 pinch crushed dried oregano; STIR in 1/3 cup drained water-packed artichoke hearts, and 1 tablespoon drained nonpariel capers; PLACE bowl close to cooking station.
- COAT a very large saute pan lightly with nonstick cooking spray; HEAT 3-4 tablespoons olive oil over medium-high heat; SEAR chicken 2 - 2 1/2 minutes on one side; TURN chicken using tongs; COOK other side for 2 - 2 1/2 minutes; REMOVE pan from heat; TRANSFER chicken to a plate.
- POUR off most of the the oil from pan, wiping outer sides of pan immediately to catch drips; RETURN saucepan to medium-high heat.
- DEGLAZE the pan with 1/4 cup dry white wine; ADD 2-3 chopped cloves garlic and cook until liquid is reduced to half, about 2 minutes; POUR the seasoned chicken broth mixture into saucepan.
- RETURN the cutlets to saucepan and allow to cook for one minute; TURN cutlets and cook for one remaining minute; TRANSFER cutlets to serving plates.
- ADD 2 tablespoons unsalted butter to saucepan, swirling pan as butter melts; ONCE butter has melted, pour sauce over each cutlet serving; GARNISH with minced fresh parsley.
- SERVE and ENJOY!