1/1 Photo of My Big Fat Greek Chicken
2 hrs 5 mins
1 hr 50 mins
The Spice Guru's Note:
My recipe for Greek-style baked whole chicken is a bit labor-intensive, but so delicious.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 fresh whole roasting chicken (5 1/2 - 6 lb.)
- 1 halved head of garlic
- 1 tablespoon tempered unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground white pepper
- 1 halved head of garlic (from rub)
- 1 halved small onion
- 1 halved fresh seedless lemon
- 20 fresh oregano sprigs
- 1PLACE a 5 1/2 - 6 lb. roasting chicken into a colander placed in sink; REMOVE and discard the innards from the cavity from chicken; RINSE chicken inside and out with chicken in the colander; LEAVE chicken in colander in sink.
- 2INSERT a V-shaped rack into a roasting pan to suspend chicken while baking, for even browning; SET aside; PLACE oven rack in the second low position, or to where chicken will be 5 inches below the top of oven; PREHEAT oven to 425°F .
- 3GRATE 1 1/2 teaspoons outer fresh lemon zest using a fine shred grate; SQUEEZE enough lemons to yield 1/4 cup; RESERVE 2 squeezed lemon halves; CUT one small onion in half; CUT 1 head of garlic in half crosswise.
- 4INTO in a small saucepan add: 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice, 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, 1 tablespoon butter, 1 tablespoon garlic salt, 1 tablespoon dried Greek oregano, 1 tablespoon wild thyme honey, 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh grated lemon zest, 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin, and 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground white pepper, for the BASTE.
- 5TIE one bunch (about 20 sprigs) fresh oregano together tightly on the lower stems using a twist-tie; IMMERSE oregano into the BASTE mixture; BRING mixture in saucepan to gentle boiling for one minute; REDUCE heat to low and simmer for 5 minutes; REMOVE saucepan from heat; LET mixture stand to infuse the fresh oregano essences; STRAIN liquid from oregano sprigs in baste solution, remove sprigs using tongs and reserve.
- 6RUB the chicken skin all over with the halved garlic heads for the BOUQUET to season, reserving the garlic sections; LEAVE chicken in the colander; STUFF the cavity of chicken with the fresh garlic head halves, the small onion halves, 2 reserved lemon halves and the reserved fresh oregano sprigs; RUB 1 tablespoon tempered unsalted butter evenly over entire outer surface of chicken; FOLLOW with one tablespoon extra virgin olive oil; GENEROUSLY season the inner cavity of chicken with kosher salt and freshly ground pepper; TIE drumsticks together at ends with kitchen string; WRAP drumstick and wing tips with foil; TRANSFER chicken onto the V-rack inserted in roasting pan.
- 7SET oven timer to 25 minutes; BAKE chicken uncovered at 425°F until timer sounds; REDUCE oven temperature to 355°F ; SET oven timer for 40 minutes; CONTINUE baking chicken until timer sounds again.
- 8REDUCE oven temperature now to 325°F; CAREFULLY slide out oven rack wearing oven mitts; REMOVE foil from drumsticks and wings; MIX the BASTE solution with basting brush; BRUSH chicken evenly with the BASTE solution (don't worry about the chicken underside, as the baste will drip down to season); RETURN chicken into oven and close oven door.
- 9REPEAT the BAKE, BASTE, and TIMER procedures every 15 minutes so chicken has been basted 3 times in the remaining 45 minutes (TOTAL BAKING TIME IS EXACTLY 1 HOUR, 50 MINUTES); CUT and remove string from drumsticks.
- 10CARVE, serve, and feast!
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for My Big Fat Greek Chicken
Serving Size: 1 (114 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 929.5
- Calories from Fat 621
- Total Fat 69.0 g
- Saturated Fat 20.2 g
- Cholesterol 259.0 mg
- Sodium 259.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 16.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.7 g
- Sugars 6.4 g
- Protein 59.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: