Prep 25 mins
Cook 20 mins
My recipe for Greek-style burgers.
Make and share this My Big Fat Greek Burgers recipe from Food.com.
SEASONED GROUND MEAT
- 1 lb fresh ground lamb (other ground meat may be substituted)
- 1⁄2 cup finely minced onions or 1 -2 tablespoon minced onion flakes
- 1 -3 minced garlic clove
- 1⁄2 cup finely minced pimiento-free olive (green or kalamata)
- 1 cup crumbled feta cheese or 1 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (juice of 1 lemon)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley or 1 1⁄2 teaspoons parsley flakes
- 1 tablespoon chopped of fresh mint or 1 teaspoon dried mint
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons fine sea salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon finely grated fresh lemon zest (yellow rind only)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1⁄2 cup fresh breadcrumb (crust removed)
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄8 cup ouzo liqueur or 1⁄8 cup Pernod or 1 teaspoon anise extract
- olive oil (for frying)
- flour (to coat before frying)
- sliced fresh bakery bun
CUCUMBER-DILL YOGURT SAUCE
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1⁄2 cup finely diced cucumber
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill or 1 1⁄2 teapoons dried dill
- 3⁄4 teaspoon chopped of fresh mint or 1⁄4 teaspoon dried mint
- 1⁄2 teaspoon finely minced onion (optional)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon finely grated fresh lemon zest (yellow rind only)
- crumbled feta cheese (over broiling meat during final phase)
- sliced grilled green pepper
- sliced fresh red onions or grilled red onion
- sliced cucumber
- sliced ripe tomatoes
- fresh spinach or lettuce leaf
- NOTE: I USE 50% GROUND BEEF WITH 50% GROUND LAMB, WHICH IS A BALANCED MELDING OF FLAVORS.
- TRADITIONAL PREPARATION METHOD: INTO a large bowl add the SEASONED GROUND MEAT ingredients without mixing; IN another small bowl beat one egg with 1 tablespoon flour; ADD egg/flour mixture to ground meat ingredients in large bowl; WHISK 1/4 cup milk and 1/8 cup ouzo or Pernod (or 1 teaspoon anise extract) in a small bowl and add 1/2 cup bread crumbs; ALLOW mixture to absorb; ADD to meat mixture; MIX well; CHILL meatball mixture until very cold (40 degrees F).
- QUICK FOOD PROCESSOR METHOD: INTO large food processor add 1/4 cup milk, 1 egg, 1 tablespoon flour, 1/8 cup ouzo (or 1 teaspoon anise extract) and 1/2 cup bread crumbs; PROCESS; ADD the MAIN MEATBALL INGREDIENTS except for ground lamb and feta cheese; PROCESS; ADD ground lamb; PROCESS (Feta cheese may be added to mixture now and processed or folded into after); CHILL meatball mixture until very cold (40 degrees F).
- SHAPE meat mixture into six patties.
- PLACE patties onto a baking sheet (do not use a broiler pan with grill since patties will stick to the grill and/or and be difficult to remove after broiling).
- PREHEAT oven to BROIL.
- BROIL the patties 2-3 minutes, TURN patties using a metal spatula (NOTE: YOU MAY ADD CRUMBLED FETA CHEESE OVER BURGERS NOW IF DESIRED); BROIL 2 minutes longer or until desired doneness is reached (patties will continue to cook after removing from oven); REMOVE pan from oven; COVER patties with foil.
- MAKE CUCUMBER-DILL SAUCE: Combine Cucumber-Dill Yogurt Sauce recipe ingredients in a small bowl (1 cup plain yogurt, 1/2 cup finely diced cucumbers, 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill or 1 1/2 teapoons dried dill, 3/4 teaspoon chopped fresh mint or 1/4 teaspoon dried mint, 1/2 teaspoon finely minced onions, 1/4 teaspoon finely grated fresh lemon zest); CHILL before serving.
- WARM or toast buns if desired (For toasted steamed buns if desired, melt butter a large skillet over medium heat; PLACE place halved buns cut-side down; REDUCE heat and cover until buns are browned on bottom and heated through); SPREAD the CUCUMBER-DILL YOGURT SAUCE; ASSEMBLE burgers as desired with above FIXINGS.
- SERVE and say, "OPA"!
amazing!! It is good if you are wanting something aside from the same old burger. My husband loved the addition of the Ouzo