Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
Here is one more version of an old favorite. After trying many times, this seems to be one my family likes a lot.
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 5 tablespoons flour
- 3 -4 cups milk
- 3 -4 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese (white and or or orange)
- salt and pepper
- cajun seasoning
- dill, to taste
- 6 -7 cups cooked noodles
- 1 -2 cup mixed frozen vegetables (peas, corn, carrots, etc.)
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1 (6 ounce) can tuna
- homemade breadcrumbs (or use crushed, store bought, seasoned croutons)
- melted butter
- chopped parsley (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375.
- In a large sauce pan, on medium heat, melt butter and whisk in flour slowly.
- When butter and flour are smooth, let cook until slightly colored and fragrant.
- Wisk in milk slowly, and bring to a low boil, stirring constantly.
- When sauce reaches desired thickness, reduce heat and stir in cheese.
- Add all seasoning to taste and, if needed, leave on a low heat to thicken.
- Spray casserole pan with oil and add noodles, frozen veg, green onion and tuna.
- Stir in cheese sauce and adjust seasoning if needed.
- Top with bread crumbs or croutons, if you like.
- For bread crumbs: In a food processor, add stale bread and pulse until you have course breadcrumbs. Quickly add melted butter while the processor is on low speed. (For a bit of colour, stir in fresh chopped parsley by hand.)
- Alternatively, use store bought croutons that you have crushed to a fine crumb.
- Bake in oven for approximately 30 minutes or until topping is brown and bubbling at the edges.
- Allow to sit for 5 minutes before serving.
Liked the cheese sauce very much, it has been that something that seems to be missing from tuna casseroles in my opinion. This was great. I also added some bell peppers simply because I had them and really like them. Another great post! This was made for Fall PAC.