Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Simple roast chicken with veggies. You can use any mix of vegetables that you like.
- 1 roasting chicken
- 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon dried herbs (rosemary, thyme, ect.)
- 2 teaspoons garlic salt (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon pepper (or to taste)
- 2 potatoes, cut in chunks
- 2 sweet potatoes, cut in chunks
- 2 carrots, cut in chunks
- 2 onions, cut in chunks
- 1⁄2 lb fresh green beans, trimmed
- 3 garlic cloves, cracked
- 1⁄3 cup water
- cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Spray a 9 x 13 glass baking dish with cooking spray.
- Place vegetables, onions, and garlic in the pan (if using green beans place them on the top of the root vegetables). Sprinkle with pepper.
- Add water to the pan.
- Place chicken breast side up on top of the vegetables.
- Sprinkle the chicken with 1/2 of the garlic salt, pepper and herbs.
- Squeeze 1/2 of the lemon on top of the chicken.
- Turn chicken over and repeat seasonings.
- Grate the zest of 1/2 the lemon on top of the chicken.
- Place the lemon inside of the chicken cavity.
- Spray the chicken lightly with cooking spray.
- Cover tightly with aluminum foil and place in the oven.
- Cook for 1 hour covered.
- Continue cooking uncovered until chicken is done.
Great roast chicken. I left out the green beans and used white wine instead of water. My chicken was 3 1/2 lbs and cooked for 1 1/2 hours. The veggies came out perfectly. I like my chicken a little darker so next time I will take off the foil a little earlier. I used rosemary and thyme for the dried herbs. Thanks! Made for the Bargain Basement tag game.