Prep 15 mins
Cook 3 hrs
Easy roast beef with an excellent gravy. Leftovers are great in burritos too.
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons salt
- 1 tablespoon pepper
- 1 -2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 3 -4 lbs boneless bottom round roast
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can beef broth
- 1⁄2 cup red wine
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch, mixed with 1/2 cup water
- Mix salt, pepper, garlic powder, and chili powder together.
- Rub seasoning mixture on all sides of roast.
- Heat an iron skillet and add olive oil.
- Sear roast on all sides; remove from heat.
- Add beef broth, red wine and water.
- Cover with tight fitting lid or foil.
- Bake in 300 degree Fahrenheit oven for 3 to 4 hours or until meat is easily shredded.
- Add cornstarch/water mixture to make gravy.
Delicious and a new favorite for us!!! I must state that I did cook it differently (using a grill/charcoal) and since we were serving the roast beef with mashed potatoes and fresh corn on the cob, we opted to omit the chili powder(didn't want it to taste like chili or meat for Mexican dishes). I rubbed about 1 tablespoon of olive oil on the outside of the roast and then sprinkled on the sea salt, pepper and and garlic powder. We then seared the roast on the grill on all sides and then put it in a foil pan, atop of sliced onions along with the beef broth. Once the roast was cooked, I took it all inside and removed the roast, then added the wine and cooked it down for a bit. I then used flour mixed with salt, pepper, garlic powder and water instead of the cornstarch, just a personal preference. Thanks for sharing your recipes. Made for Spring PAC 2014.