Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 144 hrs
This is more a technique than "amounts" recipe though the ratio of salt to lemon must be measured. While the bottles and jars of preserved lemons in the souk are wonderful to look at, they are by in large for the tourists and at times are unhealthy. Nearly every Moroccan home which uses preserved lemon makes it's own preserved lemons and these quarters are the most common as they are ready prepared to use and serve. The entire lemon piece can be used in "some" recipes though the most common is to use only the rind. Please friends do not ask about the time I tried to eat a preserved lemon quarter "as is!!" Preserved lemons lend a wonderful tangysalt flavour to especially chicken and gorgeous with fish and soups! Make sure that when using you remove the pulp using only the rind. Enjoy! c.\2003
- Quarter lemons lengthwise and put in a noncorrosive airtight container.
- Freeze for 8 hours.
- Add 1 tablespoon rock/kosher salt per lemon(in this case 4 Tbsp.).
- Store airtight at room temperature for 6 days; shake occasionally. Use as suggested in your recipes.
- To store, chill up to 1 year sealed well (color *can* darken a bit, fine to use). I use organic lemons that are unwaxed.
- PLEASE do not use waxed lemons!
- When ready to use rinse well under running cold running water and remove the pulp with a sharp knife, discarding. The rind is all of a preserved lemon which is used and can be left quartered or julienned.
- The "COOKING TIME" is "THE FREEZING AND CURING TIME.".
Did these for a dinner party my boss was having last week. I needed pickled lemons in a hurry and had about a week to get them. This recipe worked out fabulously! Very easy to do with excellent results. Thanks!
I have made my first preserved lemons on 22 November 2005. They are so easy to make. Now I have to wait to taste them.