144 hrs 10 mins
Hajar Elizabeth's Note:
This is more a technique than "amounts" recipe though the ratio of salt to lemon must be measured. While the bottles and jars of preserved lemons in the souk are wonderful to look at, they are by in large for the tourists and at times are unhealthy. Nearly every Moroccan home which uses preserved lemon makes it's own preserved lemons and these quarters are the most common as they are ready prepared to use and serve. The entire lemon piece can be used in "some" recipes though the most common is to use only the rind. Please friends do not ask about the time I tried to eat a preserved lemon quarter "as is!!" Preserved lemons lend a wonderful tangysalt flavour to especially chicken and gorgeous with fish and soups! Make sure that when using you remove the pulp using only the rind. Enjoy! c.\2003
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Quarter lemons lengthwise and put in a noncorrosive airtight container.
- 2Freeze for 8 hours.
- 3Add 1 tablespoon rock/kosher salt per lemon(in this case 4 Tbsp.).
- 4Store airtight at room temperature for 6 days; shake occasionally. Use as suggested in your recipes.
- 5To store, chill up to 1 year sealed well (color *can* darken a bit, fine to use). I use organic lemons that are unwaxed.
- 6PLEASE do not use waxed lemons!
- 7When ready to use rinse well under running cold running water and remove the pulp with a sharp knife, discarding. The rind is all of a preserved lemon which is used and can be left quartered or julienned.
- 8The "COOKING TIME" is "THE FREEZING AND CURING TIME.".
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for My Best Preserved Lemons
Serving Size: 1 (232 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 5.4
- Calories from Fat 0
- Total Fat 0.0 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 0.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 2.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.2 g
- Sugars 0.0 g
- Protein 0.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: