Prep 20 mins
Cook 50 mins
This is the ONLY way I'll eat cooked apples, to die for with the warm caramel sauce!
Make and share this My Best Old-Fashioned Apple Cake With Easy Caramel Sauce recipe from Food.com.
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 cup flour
- 2 granny smith apples, peeled, chopped fine
- 1⁄2 cup chopped pecans
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup minus 1 tbl. brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup whipping cream
- Cream butter and sugar, then add egg and beat.
- Add rest of dry ingredients and beat til mixed.
- Fold in apples and pecans. Pour into greased and floured large round, deep cake pan. *Use greased and lightly floured parchment paper
- on the bottom for easier removal.
- Bake at 350º for 35-40 minutes.
- Cool a bit, turn out onto rack to cool completely. *Can serve warm, too.
- Meanwhile, make caramel sauce.
- Caramel sauce:
- Melt butter, brown sugar and salt in pan over low-med heat,
- stirring, for about 2-3 minutes.
- Remove from heat, stir in vanilla and cream and stir well till not grainy.
- Drizzle lots of caramel sauce over cut cake slices when serving.
- Sprinkle chopped pecans on top of that if desired.
- 8 servings.
I made this tonight for my mother's birthday. Everyone loved it! I doubled the recipe and baked in a 9x11 baking pan. I didn't have time to make caramel sauce, but used jarred caramel sauce instead.
I was looking for an apple cake recipe that would WOW people, and this is it! I have made this several times now, and it never fails to get rave reviews. I would give this 10 stars if I could! I have used a half cup of chunky apple sauce along with one large apple because I only had one on hand. It still turned out wonderful. Thanks for this superb recipe, Wildflour!
This has got to be one of my favorite cakes. Wow! Great texture, super taste, TERRIFIC with the caramel sauce!! I made this in an 8" round Wilton cake pan....next time I'll make a double batch!!! This is heaven on a plate!