This is the ONLY way I'll eat cooked apples, to die for with the warm caramel sauce!
Make and share this My Best Old-Fashioned Apple Cake With Easy Caramel Sauce recipe from Food.com.
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 cup flour
- 2 granny smith apples, peeled, chopped fine
- 1⁄2 cup chopped pecans
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup minus 1 tbl. brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup whipping cream
- Cream butter and sugar, then add egg and beat.
- Add rest of dry ingredients and beat til mixed.
- Fold in apples and pecans. Pour into greased and floured large round, deep cake pan. *Use greased and lightly floured parchment paper
- on the bottom for easier removal.
- Bake at 350º for 35-40 minutes.
- Cool a bit, turn out onto rack to cool completely. *Can serve warm, too.
- Meanwhile, make caramel sauce.
- Caramel sauce:
- Melt butter, brown sugar and salt in pan over low-med heat,
- stirring, for about 2-3 minutes.
- Remove from heat, stir in vanilla and cream and stir well till not grainy.
- Drizzle lots of caramel sauce over cut cake slices when serving.
- Sprinkle chopped pecans on top of that if desired.
- 8 servings.