Prep 5 mins
Cook 25 mins
These are healthy and delicious granola bars that my best friend made for me and my kids many a time... She got the recipe from allrecipes.com and I'm including her variations (they're fantastic!). Variations: omit the chocolate chips and cranberries and add 1/2 c. Chopped dried apricots, 1/2 c. raisins, 1/2 c. chopped dates. For a guiltier pleasure substitute the butter with melted peanut butter, and subtitute the cranberries with 1/2 c. banana chips (broken into little pieces) and 1/4 tsp. salt¸.
- 3 cups quick-cooking oats
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- 1 cup sliced almonds
- 1 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- 1⁄2 cup dried sweetened cranberries
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a 9x13 inch pan.
- In a large bowl, mix together the oats, sweetened condensed milk, butter, coconut, almonds, chocolate chips and cranberries with your hands until well blended. Grease a spatula and press it hard into the pan.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes in the preheated oven, depending on how crunchy you want them. Lightly browned just around the edges will give you moist, chewy bars. Let cool for 5 minutes, cut into squares then let cool completely before serving.
Pretty tasty granola recipe. :) The thing that I would cut down on next time would be the chocolate chips. I think 1/2 a cup instead of 1 cup should add a nicer touch of chocolate without being too overpowering. Thanks for sharing the recipe!