Prep 30 mins
Cook 40 mins
I actually had to sub regular ingredients to make this, VERY thankful I wrote it down!!! It's got just about everything in there! And it's DELICIOUS! Hope you try it sometime! :)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1 3⁄4 cups flour
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup chocolate milk
- 1 tablespoon Hershey's syrup
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1 cup brewed coffee, very hot
- 3⁄4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 4 1⁄2 cups powdered sugar
- 2⁄3 cup chocolate milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 3 tablespoons caramel ice cream topping, for garnishing
- Grease 2, 8" cake pans with butter-flavored crisco and coat evenly with cocoa powder. Each pan will take about 2 Tbl. or so. *If you have trouble with cakes sticking to your pans, I recommend that you use flour, or half flour and half cocoa for this. Mine never stick, but they are well coated with whatever in the heck they use, and very shiny. You use whatever works best in your pans.
- In large bowl stir together first 8 ingredients with a wire whisk well.
- Add rest of cake ingredients except coffee. Beat on medium for 2 minutes.
- Add coffee carefully, and beat til mixed well. Be careful to add it slowly so it doesn't splatter on you and everything else! Hot coffee can really burn!
- Pour evenly into the 2 prepared pans.
- Bake in pre-heated oven at 350º for about 40 minutes or til toothpick comes out clean. *This is not a high-rising cake, it's a bit dense. So don't fret when it looks kinda puckered in the very center, that's the way it should look.
- Cool in pans 10 minutes, then turn out onto wire racks to cool completely.
- Melt butter in microwave.
- Stir in cocoa well.
- Alternately add rest of ingredients beating with wire whisk, or use a mixer. Beat til smooth and creamy.
- This makes enough frosting to frost a 2-layer 8" cake, plus extra to decorate it with. If you just want to frost it, pile it on there! I doubt anyone will complain!
- Drizzle with caramel ice cream topping if desired. Top with your heart's desire. I used Brach's chocolate stars, chopped walnuts and white chocolate truffles! Experiment and have fun! :).
- Thanks for taking the time to read my recipe, hope you give it a try! :).
I made a Creamy Peanut butter frosting(Creamy Peanut Butter Frosting) to go on top of this cake. It made the cake taste just like a reeses cup! I thought the idea of putting coffee into a chocolate cake was a little weird but you really can't taste it at all. I used a soy chocolate milk and that didn't seem to change anything about the cake. Oh, and the cake does come out a bit dense but that didn't matter to me. With the peanut butter frosting and i added some crushed butterfingers to the sides of the cake. It looked wonderful and tasted very rich and glorious. Thanks for sharing.
This cake had a great chocolate taste, especially the frosting. I gave it four stars instead of five because it didn't come out nearly as moist as we'd hoped. I followed the recipe exactly, except for adding cinnamon, but it rose like a typical cake. Luckily I checked it after 30 minutes baking time because by that time it was already done. That may have been the biggest factor in the lack of moistness. I'm sure we'll have it again, so next time I'll start checking it after 20 minutes. Thanks for posting.
Absolutely scrumptious cake!!! The coffee gives it just a bit of added richness, and it's truly a great cake - moist, chocolately & flavorful! I also appreciate that it calls for all ordinary ingredients that I already have on hand. I was afraid maybe the batter was a little too runny when I poured it into the pans and that maybe I had misread something, but it turned out perfect, right down to the puckers listed in the instructions! :) The frosting is fabulous also! I did make this in 9" pans and cut about 5 minutes off the baking time. We served this for a dinner with a friend who loves chocolate and there were many happy moans of delight from adults and children alike!! Thank you so much!!