1/2 Photos of My Best Buttermilk Biscuits
Adapted from Peter Reinhart. My sister loves buttermilk biscuits, and this method of letter-folding the dough (like in puff pastry) ensures perfectly flaky layers every time. It’s an extra step, but it is SO worth it!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Heat the oven to 500°F and line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment.
- 2Whisk flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt and sugar in a large mixing bowl.
- 3Add the butter cubes and, using your fingers, break them up into the flour until the mixture is filled with pea-sized bits (you should have definite “butter” pieces). Don’t work the butter too hard, it will melt the butter.
- 4Add the buttermilk and stir until all or most of the flour is absorbed by the buttermilk and the dough forms a coarse, slightly sticky lump.
- 5Turn out the dough on a well-floured surface.
- 6With floured hands, press the dough into a ½”-thick rectangle.
- 7Starting from the shorter ends, letter-fold the dough. Rotate 90°.
- 8Press out again into a ½”-thick rectangle and repeat the letter-folding (again from the “new” short ends).
- 9Turn dough 90°, press out and fold one more time. You will have folded a total of three times.
- 10Press out into a ¾”-thick rectangle.
- 11Use a sharp knife to cut the rectangle into 10 even pieces. Do not “saw” the dough. If using a glass or biscuit cutter, don’t twist down – it seals all the edges.
- 12If you are using a cutter, you’ll be able to re-press the scraps about two more times with similar flakiness.
- 13Place biscuits on the sheet, brush with buttermilk and place in the oven.
- 14Immediately drop the temperature to 450°F and bake 8 minutes.
- 15Rotate the pan 180° and bake a further 6 minutes.
- 16Immediately place biscuits on a wire rack to cool.
Browse Our Top Rolls/Biscuits Recipes
Nutritional Facts for My Best Buttermilk Biscuits
Serving Size: 1 (41 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 105.5
- Calories from Fat 44
- Total Fat 4.9 g
- Saturated Fat 3.0 g
- Cholesterol 12.9 mg
- Sodium 316.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 13.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.3 g
- Sugars 2.1 g
- Protein 2.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: